Laser Scar Revision in Clarkston, MI
At Clarkston Dermatology, we know you want the confidence that comes from looking and feeling your best. The problem is, you don't know who to trust for the guidance you need. Our national award-winning dermatology practice takes pride in offering the most innovative cosmetic treatments like laser scar revision performed by board-certified providers for our patients in Clarkston and Troy, MI.
What Is Laser Scar Revision?
With the use of focused light beams using the ActivFX and DeepFX CO2 lasers, laser scar revision can safely and effectively treat scars by improving pigment, skin texture, and function of the area.
While laser treatment can't completely get rid of a scar, laser scar revision can:
- Improve range of motion when a scar limits your movement
- Reduce pain and itchiness of a scar
- Prevent a raised scar from forming after a procedure
- Make a scar less noticeable
- Improve the texture and pigmentation of the scar
How Much Does Laser Scar Revision Cost in Clarkston, MI?
The cost of laser scar revision at Clarkston Dermatology depends on which laser treatment is most appropriate for your scar and the number of sessions you need. We encourage you to contact us for a consultation with our expert guides to develop a custom care plan and review your individual cost. To make your scar revision treatment as affordable as possible, we offer financing through CareCredit®.
How Is Laser Scar Revision Performed?
During your consultation, your care team will develop a customized treatment plan and help you understand the best type of laser treatment to revise your scar. This is how the three main laser scar revision treatments are performed.
- Ablative laser resurfacing: With the ablative laser resurfacing treatment, the outer layer of the skin is removed and the underlying damaged skin cells are destroyed. The best type of ablative laser depends on the depth of the scar.
- Non-ablative laser resurfacing: With non-ablative laser resurfacing, the inner layer of the skin is penetrated with an infrared heat laser. Collagen production in the area is also stimulated along with cell renewal to break down and replace scar tissue.
- Fractionated laser resurfacing: In this case, a deeper layer of the skin’s surface is penetrated by the laser in order to remove dark pigmented cells. Fractionated laser resurfacing also stimulates the production of collagen and the renewal of skin cells which will help to make your scars appear less visible.
Each type of laser scar revision treatment is performed as an outpatient procedure, although the overall duration of each procedure can vary. You can expect to feel some mild discomfort during the procedure, although a topical anesthetic will be applied by your doctor beforehand to make treatment more comfortable.
What Types of Scars Can You Treat?
Laser scar revision can treat many different scars, including scars that are merely cosmetic concerns and scars that cause reduced range of motion. The following can be treated with laser scar revision:
- Trauma-related scars
- Acne scars
- Burn scars
- Hyperpigmented scars
- Raised or keloid scars
- Surgical scars
If you suffer with a sensitivity to light, your doctor may not recommend the laser scar revision treatment. This treatment option may not be a good choice if you are currently taking blood thinning medications, or if you have skin sores, active acne, or darker skin.
What Is Recovery Like with Fractional Laser Scar Revision?
Depending on the patient and the degree of the treatment, recovery times can vary. In general though, it can take somewhere around three to 10 days to heal. In order to aid the healing process, the doctor may recommend the following:
- Wash and moisturize the treatment area daily
- Try to keep out of direct sunlight for around four to six weeks
- Avoid wearing makeup if it was a facial procedure
- Reduce swelling by applying a moist cloth or a cold pack to the treatment area
With laser scar revision at Clarkston Dermatology, you don't need to live with an obvious scar that makes you self-conscious or limits your range of motion. At Clarkston Dermatology, our team of licensed providers are here to help with innovative laser scar revision options for our patients in Clarkston, Troy, and the surrounding areas of Michigan. To get started, contact us for a free consultation, meet with your expert guides, and begin a custom care plan toward healthier skin.